Mahila Takrar Nivaran Kendra- M.T.N.K
While working with various communities, Desh Seva Samiti (DSS) volunteers observed that innumerable women residing in slums were oppressed, both, socially and economically and hence, needed an outlet to voice their grievances. . The women were apprehensive of lodging a complaint at the police station, either out of fear of society or due to fear of their spouses and family members. With this backdrop, DSS along with the police conceived the idea of the Mahila Takrar Nivaran Kendra in order to help women in distress. Six M.T.N.K. Centres in Mumbai suburbs are functioning since Sep ‘08 Kashimira, June ’09 in Goregaon, Malad and Bangur Nagar and Aug ’09 in Kanakia Police Stations November 09 in Chembur. Lately, DSS has realized that M.T.N.K caters to not just housewives, domestic workers or small vendors but also to professional class that seeks help.
Objectives of M.T.N.K
1. To give the women a listening ear and to take cognizance of the offences perpetrated on them.
2. To work with individuals, families, groups and communities so as to create harmonious relationships.
3. To coordinate with the police in cases of crimes against women.
4. To conduct training programmes/workshops for women as well as their family members on wide range of issues and themes.
5. To network with women’s organizations and other like-minded organizations for collaborative work.
6. To conduct health camps.
7. To motivate distressed women to be independent and to take decisions on their own.
Nature of Grievances
1. Marital conflicts (wife beating, extra-marital relationships, alcoholism, unemployment, financial constraints)
2. Problems and Disputes concerning in-laws
3. Sexual problems and lustful behaviour
4. Love affairs resulting in elopement and marriage
5. Divorce, desertion, maintenance and illegal second marriages
6. Problems between mother and son
7. Problems between father-in-law and daughter-in-law.
8. Problems related to properties.
Site Designed & Maintained by: